06 October 2014

Cruddy Internet & Native Animals

These are getting shorter because things are settling down significantly, but I go on vacation in two days to Arthur's Pass and the Fox Glacier, followed quickly with my move to Avonside, so stay tuned for that. Now, for the racap:

October 2: We got to see our little angel/devil on Thursday. Niko was his typical distracted self, more interested in eating grass and agapantha leaves. After him, we went to the large EcoShop thrift store, where we picked up some minor dishware. The afternoon was spent desperately trying to find time to read French and write my article on Clems. It didn't go well at all, but I got them both done. In the late afternoon, we went to the school to visit some other Arts Department postgrads, mostly MA students, and we discovered a few things about how the tutoring/student teaching program works and how every single event here involves alcohol in some way or another. Overall, an interesting day. We finally met some people that actually share our interests, which is nice.

October 3: Kara spent most of the afternoon attempting to make peanut butter cookies for the game night that evening, while I worked on the Laurel article for my book. The game night was quite fun, with five games played over the course of five hours. Not much else happened, though.

October 4: I got back from Chris my one-month proposal draft which he definitely did not enjoy. After much complaining to Kara, I finally got to work writing it, promptly giving up after re-writing half of it. I then decided to start on my preface article to the section I had just finished the day before.

October 5: Today marked a trying day as I had to finish the rewrite my one-month proposal since the first draft was, well, garbage. My supervisor, fortunately, didn't literally say that, only implied it heavily. In any case, that took the bulk of the afternoon to finish and I was quite glad when it was done. Kara edited it in the evening as I finished my last article for Section 2 of Santa Cruz Trains. Somehow, I also managed to cram garage saling in the morning and French reading in the afternoon, though how I don't know. Sam was gone all day so we were able to work a bit more than usual.

October 6: A busy Monday with lots to do but nowhere to go. Revising my proposal after Kara's edits in the morning merged into my French reading which shifted to me writing a Press-Banner article and finally editing my past two weeks' worth of Santa Cruz Trains writing. All-in-all, a pretty busy day, though unremarkable.

Ponderings:
  • Internet in New Zealand is not as fast as it should be but faster than most people claim it to be. That being said, it likes to cut out suddenly and frequently. Data on cell phones are the same way, dropping in and out despite a strong signal.
  • New Zealand has precisely one indigenous mammal: the bat. A few others made their way over with the ancestral Māori including the Polynesian dog, Polynesian rat, and wild boar. I'm sure a few others came too. Finally, the European settlers brought their own deer, weasels, cats, and many other mammals. Oddly, though, there are no chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons, skunks, gophers, and any other myriad species of small animals. People never brought them over, so there are no small animals here. More importantly, though, most mammals that are here are not native to the islands.

No comments:

Post a Comment