15 September 2014

Starchy Clothes

Still no photos. I know, I'm ruining this blog. Ugh. I stink. Not literally; these clothes just got cleaned. Though they are a bit starchy. Hmm. See observations below.

13 September: Checked out a place in the late morning. It was fairly nice but expensive and too far to walk to the Uni. It was close to the racetrack, though, which means gambling was an annual option. Still, we decided to pass because of the first two reasons. Not the third. We love gambling on horse races. See Derek & Kara's Adventures in San Diego, 2007 ed. After that, we watched La Nana, a Spanish-language film about a maid that didn't want another maid to move in. It was one of those funny but not laugh-of-loud funny kind of drama-comedies. Like Royal Tennenbaums except good. Lots of writing the rest of the day. I feel like I am repeating that statement a lot. I also knocked out my back, which wasn't cool but did result in an awkwardly silly laughing/crying fit that wouldn't stop even after I collapsed on the bed.

14 September: We got to see another movie en Español today called En el Nombre de la Hija, which was about a girl who fought a class war against her grandparents and cousins after he parents ditched her for a month to do something that wasn't satisfactorily explained. Oh yeah, this was part of a Latino film festival held at the Uni, so that's why everything is en Español. Next time, I'll write in Esperanto for those of you who are trilingual. More writing afterwards, though I finally got ahead and Kara finally finished editing, so double win! Back still hurt all day, though.

15 September: Yeah, the back thing is getting old, and it still hurts. We checked out yet another apartment today that was farther away from the Uni but right next to the mall, so frozen yogurt would be close. So would a bunch of other stores, actually. And the railroad freight yard, but that's not a perk. We came back and didn't work on my book. Instead we watched Hell on Wheels and then did our actual factual homework, which consists of reading books for three years and trying to figure out what we get out of that besides degrees. Postgraduate work is confusing, I tell you what. My back still hurts. Wait, I said that already. THE END!

Observations:

  • New Zealanders seem to be confused about clothes dryers. I mean, some people own them, but they don't use them. Most homes have washing machines and clothes lines. Did I mention it rains here? Frequently? And it's also windy. Like REALLY windy. So, yeah, kind confused about the whole dryer thing, which brings me to...
  • New Zealand is windy. Not like hurricane-force windy, but still pretty windy. The winds come from four directions and three of those are freezing. Easterlies come from the ocean, which is thousands of miles of cold. Southerlies come from the Antarctic. 'Nuff said. Westerlies come from the Southern Alps, which are most always snow covered. Only the Northerlies are marginally warm, which means we haven't had any of that type yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment